Zucchini, carrots and walnut ‘flour’ combine to make light and savory fritters, perfect for any meal or snack!
1 cup California walnuts, processed to a finely ground consistency
1 zucchini squash, shredded
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 green onions, chopped finely
zest from 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1–2 Tablespoons avocado oil for frying (can sub olive oil)
1. Grate carrots and zucchini and squeeze out water using a cheesecloth or dish towel.
2. Process walnuts in a food processor until a powdery consistency has formed.
3. Whisk eggs in a small bowl.
4. Heat 1 or 2 Tablespoons of avocado oil in a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet over medium to medium high heat. Oil will start to sizzle when it’s hot enough.
5. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until everything is coated with the egg mixture.
6. Drop heaping teaspoons of fritter mix onto heated skillet. Use a tablespoon for bigger fritters.
7. Heat for 3-4 minutes until each side is a golden brown color. Flip several times throughout total cooking time.
8. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel or tea towel covered plate to drain off oil.
9. Serve over a bed of lettuce with your favorite dip or store for later.
Note: shown with a lemon juice, herb, and Greek yogurt dip:
Keywords: Zucchini Carrot Fritter